Last January 2012, some food experts and critics came together in a talk show and made some wild predictions for 2012. Let’s look back at the year and see if what they said happened and what to expect for 2013.
The 2012 Predictions:
- There will be more goofy foods and gimmicks – The goofiest gimmicks in the food industry was seen in the many humorous food truck signs although some bordered on plain silly. Still, these goofy signs did a lot for the food industry because it made people stop, stare, laugh, and buy!
- Food trucks will start accepting catering jobs – This prediction didn’t really happen to the point of being a trend. Instead, there were food truck events and even a food truck reality TV show
- Mini meals will be a big hit – And they were! They will continue to be popular as Americans turn to mini meals as nutritious snacks. This is one of the reasons the food truck business did brisk business. People were not just conscious of eating healthier; they also wanted to downsize their meals to lose weight.
- Bacon everywhere? – This prediction tanked because with the bid for a healthier lifestyle practically being forced on the public, many people shunned fatty pork and opted for healthier chicken dishes
Food Predictions for 2013
According to the chefs of Esquared Hospitality which operates Go Burger, BLT Steak, BLT Burger, BLT Fish, Casa Nonna and 21 other restaurants and one food truck, there are 5 food trends to look forward to:
- Meat will have a new high-end social class where only the best cuts are sold or the best cuts are used to market a food establishment
- There will be more vegetables as side dishes, in desserts, drinks, or even as the main course
- Pit cooking will make a come-back
- New ingredients from South America and Asia will be introduced and become very popular
- Natural foods like fruits and vegetables will rule meals even mini meals with less use of syrups and sugar